On Tuesday November 8th, the Disability Sport & Recreation awards were held at the PwC building in Southbank. On DSR’s 60th anniversary, the evening recognised the achievements, hard work, and dedication of sportspeople and volunteers across Victoria’s inclusive sport and recreation sector.
The night was a huge success, with many from the disability sporting community gathering to honour their peers and their achievements.
Former Paralympian Elle Steele was our keynote speaker for the evening, outlining her journey and passing on some inspirational words to our guests.
The legendary Kevin Coombs, who competed in wheelchair basketball at five paralympic games, was also in attendance for the evening, with the ‘Kevin Coombs Lifetime Achievement Award’ being presented in his honour.
The list of winners at the 2022 Victorian Disability Sport & Recreation Awards were as follows:
Kevin Coombs Lifetime Achievement Award
· Dylan Alcott
My Sport Live Sportsperson of the Year - Elite
· Heath Davidson - Wheelchair Tennis
My Sport Live Sportsperson of the Year - Community
· Robert Fletcher - Blind Tennis
Carbine Club Marg Angel Junior Sportsperson of the Year
· Liam Costello – Athletics
Masters Sportsperson of the Year
· Adam Fayad - Blind Tennis
Administrator of the Year
· Steve Odgers - AFL Victoria
Coach/Fitness Leader of the Year
· Alois Rosario - Australian Para Table Tennis
PwC Volunteer of the Year
· Doug Sloan - Blind Golf Vic, Blind Golf Aus, Blind Sports & Recreation Vic
VicHealth Initiative of the Year - Sport
· Sport4All - Get Skilled Access
VicHealth Initiative of the Year - Active Recreation
· Zooming in on a vision for health and well-being - Blind Sports and Recreation Victoria
· Inclusive aquatics and recreation: a guide to increasing participation by underrepresented communities - Belgravia Leisure, Belgravia Foundation and Aquatics & Recreation Victoria
Polytan Inclusive Sport, Recreation or Open Space Infrastructure
· Dementia Friendly Forest & Sensory Trail - Parks Victoria, Bigger Heart Dementia Alliance (Ballarat) and Dementia Australia
Love the Game Team of the Year
· Table Tennis Victoria - Team Vic Para Squad
Nominations for the 2022 VDSR Awards are for achievements, initiatives, programs, activities and developments that took place between July 2021 and July 2022.
More information is available here: https://www.dsr.org.au/vdsr-awards